Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wednesday Word of the Week: DEFINITELY

In the last week I have had at least three emails from people containing the word "definately". I eventually got to the point where I doubted my recollection of the correct spelling of the word and resorted to my favourite dictionary website, Cambridge Dictionaries Online.

The visit put my mind at ease and I have decided to try motivate myself to have a Wednesday Word of the Week to pick up on some of the quirks and inconsistencies of the English language. I will not pretend to be on a level with Kate Burridge (Can We Help, ABC TV) however I will do my best to clarify some common irritants!

Definitely adverb without any doubt =

Oh, and if you were curious about the other spelling:
Definately Idiot-speak for "definitely". One of the most common moronic misspellings found on the internet =

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a cuppa with me!