Friday, July 9, 2010

Out of this world

Tonight C and I went along to the Perth Concert Hall to watch the West Australian Symphony Orchestra (WASO) play Space Classics!

From the photos I took you may be mistaken in thinking it was actually a Star Wars Spectacular. In fact, half of the pieces that were played were by John Williams, with the other half made up of some of Holst's planets, Johann Strauss (courtesy of 2001: A Space Odessey), Star Trek, Thunderbirds...
The encore was music from the credits of Star Wars! So in fact John Williams pieces did make up just over half of what we heard.

I especially enjoy the Holst (Mars, Mercury and Jupiter) and the Strauss (Also Sprach Zarathustra and Blue Danube Waltz). It has been a while since I saw live classical music and I really need to make an effort. Personally though I was disappointed that Doctor Who did not crack a mention! But then I am such a fan.

Bounty hunters playing up for the camera
C watching Darth Vader and his crew glide past
Waiting to take off!
Do not mess with this crew
A dancing storm trooper (he tap danced for me!)
Obi Wan Conductor (he also dressed as Superman!)
Guarding the stage
Our concert hall at night

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a cuppa with me!