Saturday, July 24, 2010

Keeping me awake at night


Two novels that I have recently reread!

Chocolat is a gorgeous fairy tale by Joanne Harris. A modern take on black versus white, with a little bit of magic thrown in. The characters are beautiful and by the end of the novel they have all grown and learnt something about themselves. I have not watched the film, but am thinking that I would like to, just to see how much of the novel that they managed to translate.

Nightingale Wood is a take on the Cinderella story, by Stella Gibbons. Viola (Cinderella) is a little vague and a little drippy. Her prince charming is not the brightest tree in the forest and has not necessarily the purest of intentions towards our heroine. Viola's in-laws are fantastic caricatures and you really appreciate the exaggerated stereoypes.

Both novels are beautifully written. Not too heavy, not too light! I was drawn to the story and even though I have previously read both I still had to keep reading to get to the end.

The character Viola was named by her father for a certain Shakespearean heroine, and I was inspired to duck into Elizabeth's Bookshop and purchase myself a copy of the play. I think I remember what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a cuppa with me!